Monday, January 9, 2012

Poetry Jam: Yellow















This weeks poetry jam challenge is to write about a poem about color. Here's my take on yellow:

Yellow

Yellow is daffodil,
daisy eye,
a dandelion picked in childhood spring,
forsythia
and the tall rag of golden rod.

Yellow is the sallow skin of age,
parchment worn diaphanous,
old words on paper left
to dry inside of books;
kitchens
warm with baking bread.

Yellow is the midday sun
yoke centered in albumen.

Primary,
strong and soft, it mixes
with the blue of sky
and becomes green
like grass

like hope.



For more colorful poems, check out Poetry Jam

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful poem. I clicked the link expecting something elementary, but you really nailed the emotion behind the color. Does that make sense? Well, maybe to another poet. Loved it, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my all-time favorite songs is Yellow by Coldplay, have you heard it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! I do like Coldplay's Yellow, J.A. I'd nearly forgotten it, thanks for bringing it back to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... beautiful.... I think it is the color of life. Well done.

    ReplyDelete