Saturday, November 5, 2011

Sweet Saturday Sample

Over the next few weeks, I thought I'd share some hero meets heroine moments. This one is from my work in progress. It's still under construction and the scaffolding hasn't been removed. It's a romantic comedy, the working title is "Searching for Superman"

She marched down the driveway, ready to tell the Castle Creature just what she thought of abhorrently tardy behavior, when out of the van jumped superman.
      He didn’t look so much like superman as a man dressed for a Halloween party. He was too short for a super hero, for one, only a few inches taller than Stephanie. He was more wiry than muscular. He was cute, though, he had a full head of light brown curly hair and nice eyes. Not blue, like Christopher Reeve’s had been, but hazel. The eyes were looking right at her.
       “Spellman?” he asked. When Stephanie didn’t answer, he smiled apologetically. “The GPS in the Van isn’t working. And this development is a maze. I felt like I was in an episode of Lost. In which I was really lost.  I figured I’d eventually run out of gas and Jane would have to put out an APB.”  He looked at Stephanie with those hemlock eyes again. “Sorry.”
      “You are not supposed to be Superman.”
      “What?” Superman went to the Van and drew a paper off the seat. “I’m sure. Yup. Says right here. Superman.”
      Stephanie took the paper from him and crumbled it. “You are supposed to be Cinderella.”
      “No.” Superman looked at her with a combination of horror and confusion. “Cinderella?”
      “It’s a princess party. So you better have Cinderella in that van of yours.”
      “It’s not my van. And, no, I don’t have Cinderella hiding under the backseat.” He gave her a no-harm-no-foul sort of shrug. “Let me call Jane.”
      Stephanie waved her cell phone at him. “What do you suppose I’ve been doing for the last hour? “
      “Okay, okay. She’s probably... let me go back to the shop see what I can do.”
      He turned to get back into the van. Stephanie gave his cape a tug. “You are not leaving. You can’t leave. There are twenty five children terrorizing my sister’s house and you have got to stop them.”

Thanks for stopping by.

Check out more Sweet Saturday Samples here.

11 comments:

  1. I liked it. :) Keep up the work and I think you will have a keeper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel,
    It's still rough around the edges, but I think it's coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Don't tug on Superman's cape...." Love this excerpt! What an original hero-heroine meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful beginning! Loved her telling him he's supposed to be Cinderella. Bet he turns out to be Prince Charming though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sandy and Jenna, You got me, Sandy. No spitting into the wind, though. :) And yeah, he is Prince Charming, Jenna, though it's taken Stephanie a long time to figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Good luck with that! Can't wait to see how this plays out, or rather how he plans on calming down all those kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've definitely got the comedy here! Can't wait to see the romance. Love this!

    ReplyDelete