Saturday, March 1, 2014

Dancing in the White Room #snippet An Unwritten Promise

We're on a break from touring today, so I thought I'd post another short snippet here on the blog.
Mallory has called her father after having a fight with Creech.



“So why are you really calling, sweetie?” he asks.
And I’m ready to cry again, except that I’m too old to go crying to Daddy. He wouldn’t know what to do with it, if I did.
“I thought me and Em might come visit once the season’s done.” The thought has just popped into my head, as likely an excuse as any.
“That would be great.” He sounds like he really means it. “About the middle of April, maybe? Bell ought to be home by then.”
The mention of Bell is enough to do me in, and I find I’m telling him all my troubles, about Roddie and Bell’s continuing despite what happened. About how scared I feel. “And Creech is pissed at me too,” I finish, though I don’t even try to explain this part.
“Creechie will come round. He always does.”
But I don’t know. He didn’t seem very willing to come around when he left here.
I don’t feel much better after I hang up. What I’d really like to do is pack up and take Emily down to Wells right now. If this was seven years ago and there was no Emily and no Bell, I might go running home. But it’s not seven years ago, and it’s not so easy to just pick up and go. I have my job to consider. I couldn’t leave Albie in a lurch. It wouldn’t be right.
I go to bed but I don’t sleep. I tell myself I better stop obsessing. I’m going to pay for my insomnia tomorrow, but it doesn’t seem to matter what I tell myself. I keep playing my conversation with Creech over in my head. How could I have made him see it differently?
Then I get mad, thinking it’s really none of Creech’s business in the first place. He has no right to be upset with me. But that doesn’t sit well either.
Then I switch channels and think about Danny and try to imagine Bell running to his grandfather because I wouldn’t marry him. 
There’s still some kind of promise between us. Even if it’s unwritten.

Isn’t there?


No comments:

Post a Comment