Saturday, November 23, 2013

#SaturdaySample Mallory and Creech, Dancing in the White Room

Welcome to Sunday Sample, where I post a little bit of what I'm working on.

This week, I've been busy with another round of edits for Dancing in the White Room. This upmarket women's novel comes out in March of next year. It's a mix of literary fiction and romance.

In the story, the main character, Mallory, needs to decide between her current love, Bell, and her old high school sweetheart, Creech. When trouble comes, it's Creech who's there for her.



“I’m at the Quality Inn. It’s not far,” he says. “If you need me or anything.”
I squeeze his arm, on purpose this time. “Thanks.”
He puts his hand on mine. “It’s going to be okay, you know.”
“How many times have you fed me that line?”
“Haven’t steered you wrong yet.”
And suddenly, it’s as though we’re back in high school. Me finding refuge in Creech, it’s an old pattern.
The elevator comes and he gets on. He holds it open with his hand and looks at me with about the most serious expression I’ve ever seen pasted to his face.
“Anything you need, Mallo, you call me.”
Impulsively, I kiss him on the cheek. I’m still feeling the scratch of his skin as the door shuts between us.

For more on Dancing in the White Room, check out my WebPage

No comments:

Post a Comment