Saturday, May 19, 2012

#SweetSat: Meet Marco

Hi Sweet Saturday readers and welcome!
Today, I'd like to introduce you to Marco, the sweet hero in my upcoming romantic comedy.


These are Marco's "opening lines":

 
I’ll never make gnocchi again. Don’t get me wrong, I like a nice gnocchi and I do it up pretty good, if I do say so myself. With just the right balance of cream and garlic, it’s food for the angels as my Nona would have said. But some foods, they have memories attached, and gnocchi, that’s a memory I’d just as soon forget.
It was me and Angelo Del Rossi in the kitchen at Roma’s. Angie, he’s this big slow thug of a guy. Jesus and Mary, he didn’t know a paring knife from a carving knife and was not likely to learn anytime soon. I was cooking for my silent partner, Fat Phil Lazario. Fat Phil would have owned the place outright if he didn’t need somebody who knew what was what in the kitchen. Fat Phil was also my father-in-law, being as I had been married to his daughter, Lark, for a few months. Only, by then, things with Lark and me weren’t so good and the week before all this happened, I’d moved out of the apartment. Lark wasn’t about to tell her old man that I was living in the storage room on account of the fact that she had lied and cheated. But I got to thinking that if I came clean, Phil would recognize my value and see that Roma’s could be a real jewel in downtown Newark, an up and coming area, and he’d keep his end of the bargain we’d struck and finance the place until I could buy it outright. Truth was that he’d probably keep up his end because then he could continue meeting with questionable people about questionable business propositions about which I would plead ignorance. Which was my end of the bargain. I just hoped, that after hearing my side of the story about what happened between me and Lark, Phil would think twice about meeting with some questionable guy about ending our partnership on a permanent basis.



Get more Sweet Fixes at : Sweet Saturday Samples
Happy Reading!



11 comments:

  1. Love your voice...and the names! Angie the big thug LOL. That's definitely starting a story with a bang. Can't wait to read it and can't wait to get my hands on a strawberry ice-cream like the one in your picture. Bad Ute! Bang goes my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at the ice cream, but do not touch! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already love your characters and I've just met them! You've done a great job of setting up some of their conflicts -- Marco's estrangement from Lark, the silent partner/father-in-law arrangement, and the "questionable guys" lurking in the background of everything. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy. Marco was a lot of fun to write

      Delete
  4. I agree. Lovely characterisation and a distinctive voice - and tasty ice cream too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. The ice cream does look good, doesn't it?

      Delete
  5. You've created a great character. Great 'voice.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got some interesting characters in this story.
    Love the scene

    ReplyDelete